I've gotten some questions from students and parents about West Chorus activities, so I'll try to answer what I can now.
- The spring fundraiser we started last Monday - it should be cancelled. Please return the cash you may have collected from others.
- The Wedensday, March 3/24 Taylor Extravaganza is cancelled.
- Cedar Point - I don't know what the status of the trip will be, it all depends on how long we are out of school and if the school board decides to go ahead with field trips when we get back. At this point, I'd guess it's unlikely we will go. I have records on who has paid what, and if you've paid out of pocket and we don't go, that money will be refunded. If you fundraised for the trip and our trip is cancelled, your profit will be applicable to future events and trips. If we are able to go to Cedar Point, deadlines will be extended if school is not in session.
- State Choral Festival - MSVMA has cancelled all upcoming State events. This means we will not travel to Holt HS to perform among the best middle school choirs in the state. I'm very sorry for this, for we earned the right with our great performances.
- April 24 field trip to the Detroit Opera House - at this time, the Michigan Opera Theater Children's Chorus is not meeting, and all performances are cancelled. We may be able to use our grant to attend the Opera if they reschedule.
- Spring Concerts - Wayne County Community College has cancelled performances for the time being, I don't know if we will be able to use the facility in May, but my fingers are crossed we will be back by then.
- Mudhens Game (8th grade Cardinals/Men) - I haven't had communication regarding this yet, but like everything else, we'll have to wait and see what we will be able to do when we return to school.
So, like everything everywhere - it's all on hold or cancelled. I'm so sorry. So, what can you do in the mean time? I have a few music related activities you can do online during this time. I encourage you to check them out, and see how you can exercise the skills you've learned in class to prepare for when we sing again.
- Here's a list of music-theory related YouTube videos and other links you can explore.
- I love musician documentaries and concert films. Here's a list of 25 of them you can stream using popular services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video (I don't know about their ratings, so check with your parents before watching!)
- If you have an iPad or iPhone, here's a cool music creation app that's free until the end of March
- And here's another!
- I've been performing songs from my home studio and putting them on my YouTube channel. You can view them and say "hi" in the comments. If you're recording songs, be sure to drop a link so I can see it!
I'll keep you updated here whenever I find something important out. I am still working on your spring concert music - and if we get back in school, we WILL have a spring concert! When I post it, I will update the blog page as well as the home practice pages. Until then, here's our farewell song we will learn together. The 8th graders will perform this at our final concert.
Until We Sing Again, Be Safe!