EDIT: Monroe HIGH School is at 901 Herr. Dr (not 109 Herr Rd.)
DISTRICT CHORAL FESTIVAL 2019 DIRECTIONS AND EXPECTATIONS
Before you leave home in the morning
•Eat a good breakfast! There may be concessions available after we ALL perform, but not until.
•Have your uniform on, worn with pride. There is no place for you to change either on the bus or at the festival site. Remember that no undershirtshould be visible under your uniform shirt. All shirt buttons should be done up except for the top one. Pants must be BLACK SLACKS – no grey or distressed, and NO JEANS. Tuck your shirt all the way in, and it is recommended that you wear a plain black belt. Socksshould be black, as should your shoes and laces. Ladies wear hair back and out of your face, and there should be no “experimental” hairdos or excessive jewelry. Take off your jelly bracelets, etc! We need to look UNIFORM. Do not wear perfume or cologne. Collars must be down.
•You may want to bring a small backpack or purse to leave valuables on the bus. At festival, we will have a room assigned to hold our coats and other items, but it won’t be locked, so leaving things is at your own risk. Any valuables, including cell phones, game systems, and cameras must remain with a parent or be put in the room. They are not allowed in the auditorium, and will be noticed by your judges as you watch the choirs perform. It is also not uniform to have a phone sticking out of your waistband or pocket.
Arrival at School and Departing
• All students using the bus need to be at West Saturday morning by 7:10am, wearing their uniform. We will leave at 7:15am SHARP.
• Be sure to eat a good breakfast. Concessions will be available at the festival, and we will eat 11:15-noon.
• Bus riders will need a ride home from West at 1:15pm. Parents, please arrive on time to get your child.
• Students must respect chaperones, bus drivers, and teachers by remaining quiet and behaving your best. This includes using appropriate language, not bullying, intimidating or making fun of others, either from our school or from others, NO MATTER HOW THEYBEHAVE, YOUBE ABOVE IT! In short: be considerate, be nice, and represent your school with pride.
• Students given a request by any adult, on the bus or at festival, must comply without argument or attitude.
• Remember: all school rules apply for the entire trip. If you are found to be in violation of any rule, including insubordination, inappropriate language, etc., you will be punished according to the student code of conduct when we arrive home. NO GUM on the BUS or at FESTIVAL.
At the Festival
• When we arrive, follow Mr. Martin into the festival site. When we enter the building, you need to be on your best behavior, as you will all be representing our choir, our school, and Mr. Martin as well! We will enter the auditorium when it is appropriate, and be seated.
• Areas outside of the auditorium are quiet zones. Control your voices so that performances are not disturbed.
• In the auditorium, any whispering is extremely distracting, and feet placed on the backs of seats and climbing over rows of seats is not permitted. Also – NO FOOD OR BEVERAGE OF ANY SORT AT ANY TIME is allowed in the auditorium.
• If you want to leave the auditorium to use the bathroom, you need to wait until the group on stage has left, and then you may exit quietly. You must return to the auditorium immediately. You are not to wander the halls. You must be in the auditorium for the 15 minutes before our warm up time, so that you are ready to go when Mr. Martin comes to get you. Be mindful of the time! Also – if you have to use the bathroom or get a drink, you must do so before we perform – you will not be allowed to go for one hour, from when we go to the warm up room until we are done sight singing.
• We are at the festival to sing as a group: not to dance-off, one-up other schools, or otherwise show off.
On The Way Home
•Remember: you are still in school and all school rules apply. Students have been suspended for bad behavior on the way home from an excellent festival performance. Students have lost Cedar Point and even removed from the choir for inappropriate behavior at festival. BE GOOD!
• Any parents who would like to attend the festival while driving separately may bring their child, but this must be noted on the separate form. You may also leave after your child is done sight singing if you wish.
• Thanks to all chaperones for coming on the trip. In order to go, you must turn in the attached background check form completely filled in.
• Chaperones are needed to help kids make good behavior decisions both on the bus and at the festival site. Students are expected to follow your instructions. Students need to remain seated on the busses, and quiet enough for the drivers to accomplish their job with safety. DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK A MISBEHAVING STUDENT TO BEHAVE, AND DO NOT ACCEPT NO FOR AN ANSWER.
• Mr. Martin will not be in the auditorium for most of the performances, as he will be conducting the choirs. If you are in the auditorium with students, please help them comply with the above rules (NO food, feet on chairs, whispering, or PHONE USE.) These rules also apply to you as well, of course.
• Last year, videotaping was not allowed. I am unsure if you will be able to videotape the performances, or take SILENT, FLASH FREE digital pictures. If you do, share with me, please!
• After your child’s group performs, you are invited to accompany them to the clinic and sight-singing rooms. Watch the performance in the auditorium from your seat, and then when they leave the stage, you can accompany the choir to the other rooms.
• Please remember you are my eyes, ears, and voice when I am busy with kids who are performing. Thanks for being involved!
AM: SET YOUR ALARM! EAT A GOOD BREAKFAST! PUT ON FULL UNIFORM!
7:15: Busses leave West for Monroe High School, 901 Herr Rd. Monroe, MI 48161
8:00: Busses arrive at Monroe HS. Cadets and Men join audience with chaperones.
8:30: Cardinal Singers warm up, perform at 8:45, attends clinic at 9:00, and sight sing at 9:15.
9:15: Cardinal Singers join audience.
9:45: Cadet Choir warms up, performs at 10:00, attends clinic at 10:15, and sight sings at 10:30.
11:00: Cadet Choir joins audience.
11:00: Men in Black warms up, performs at 11:15, attend clinic at 11:30, and sight sing at 11:45
12:30: All choirs board busses for return to West.
1:15: Arrive at West Middle School. Parents bring students home.
Ratings are posted at http://msvma.net/public2.asp
Festival is at:Monroe High School, 901 Herr Rd. Monroe, MI 48161
Public is invited to attend. Please come and see your child perform!
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PRACTICE ONLINE at WESTCHORUS.COM
PS - you can order a shirt commemorating Festival with a "Singing Things" design here. You'll have to pick it up and pay for it at the festival.